Since Alani´s old Westerbeke had blown its head gasket on our way back from Sarteneja, it was clear I needed a different engine. I had no serial number for the Westerbeke, didn´t even know the year it was built, and the prices for replacement parts were horrendous.
I had considered buying a used engine, but had quickly decided I would actually go for a new one instead. With this big of a restore project, I didn´t want to gamble with a used motor. Especially since the motor of my choice was actually not much more expensive than some of the used models I found.
I chose a Betamarine25 for my girl.
Betamarine, based in the UK, marinizes Kubota motors. I had heard many positive reviews about their engines and the price was definitely right.
For my 30th birthday, that I celebrated with my family and friends in Germany, my dad had organised a micro crowdfunding as a birthday present. So many of my friends and family members had pitched to finance the significant part of Alani´s new propulsion system. It was one of the best presents I ever got for my birthday!
Right in time for my return from Germany, my pretty new red machine arrived!
Under the guidance of Tyrone and – like always – with the help of Tom, the new engine was successfully installed inside Alani´s immaculate freshly painted belly.
Read the next chapter Finishing and more Wood Projects